We love us some country music, and we are not even slightly ashamed of it. Primarily we love badass country women, and two of our favorites both released new music videos this week. That’s right: Carrie Underwood and Miranda Lambert both have new singles, both with music videos that are CRAZY in completely different ways. Today we’ll focus on Carrie, but don’t worry, Miranda will have a whole post to herself later on. Now let’s watch as Carrie Underwood pulls a tornado down from the clouds. (This is not a joke. It is the actual plot of the music video. Yes, it’s awesome.)
CARRIE UNDERWOOD, “BLOWN AWAY”
First of all, it has to be said: this video is bonkers. What is even happening here? Carrie starts out in the kitchen, writing in a journal and looking like she is a fifties housewife… and then apparently she’s a high school student and her dad is the guy pouring vodka in his coffee and grabbing her? Sorry, they are both far too attractive and close in age for us to buy that.
Please note our favorite lines from this song:
- “Daddy was a mean old mister, Mama was an angel in the clouds.” Has there ever been a more cliche line uttered? Not to say that it’s not awesome, because we particularly enjoy the phrase “mean old mister.”
- “There’s not enough rain in Oklahoma to rip the nails out of the past.” There is so much awesome about this line we don’t even really know where to start. First off, anything that name-checks Oklahoma as failing at something, we are on board. But how does Carrie expect rain to rip out nails?? Carrie,
- “Some people called it taking shelter/She called it sweet revenge.” HELL YEAH SHE DID. Left her abusive dad on the couch while she huddled in the shelter herself!
Also, can we talk about that shelter? Carrie Underwood would never take shelter in a place so dirty and beat down and unaccessorized. Don’t try and fool us. We aren’t saying this as a criticism at all–Carrie’s all glamour all of the time, but that does not stop her from literally beating your car to pieces. It just makes it hard to believe when she’s trying to pretend she lives in squalor. Carrie, we all know better than that.
The best part, though: THE TORNADO BLOWS AWAY OKLAHOMA. Like, all of it. After the tornado, Carrie’s eye makeup is no longer smudged from crying and she emerges into a world of full color rather than one that is sepia-toned. Carrie is basically Dorothy Gale in this video, y’all, except for how instead of just sitting around and getting swept away by herself, she was unhappy one day and decided to call down a tornado… casually. Are you going to tell us Katy Perry knows how to call down tornados? We didn’t think so. This only happens when a country girl gets pissed off, and we appreciate it so much when they do.
- Carrie Underwood Blown Away Video (countrymusicnewsblog.com)
- Carrie Underwood’s Wizard of Oz Inspired Music Video (pinkbananaworld.com)