Like everyone else in the world, we went to see The Dark Knight Rises this weekend. And also like everyone else in the world, we had been anticipating this movie for a very long time. Seriously, who hasn’t?? The Dark Knight came out in 2008, and four years without Batman is entirely too long.
Anyway, so we were extremely excited to see it, and we were not at all disappointed. Christopher Nolan did a fantastic job with wrapping up his trilogy. And it was not only Christopher Nolan who did a fantastic job, pretty much every single person in the cast was phenomenal. He may use the same 10 actors in all of his movies, but damn, can they act. We kept waiting for Leonardo DiCaprio to show up but alas (spoiler alert) he did not. Here is a brief breakdown of all of the performances from this movie. They were all great!
- Christian Bale: First things first, we have the Batman. He may be a cray, but Christian Bale is a fantastic leading man and continued to be awesome as Batman. Even though Batman is a super hero, Bale makes him seem more like a tragic hero from an epic Greek play or something… it’s crazy. When you watch this movie it does not feel like a campy superhero franchise (we’re looking at you Avengers), it feels like an intense character drama. Props to Christian Bale for real. No wonder he won an Oscar in 2011, he’s amazing.
- Joseph Gordon Levitt: We love JGL, so we were never going to be very objective on this one. He was introduced as a new character in The Dark Knight Rises, the cop Blake. We were really concerned that Christopher Nolan was going to make him be the bad guy, but it is impossible for Levitt to ever seem like a bad person. He is just too likable! Anyway, his faith in Batman was incredibly endearing, and he was the character most consistently trying to do the right thing throughout the movie… and JGL did a fantastic job in making us believe every minute of it. Hey, Nolan: You sure you’re done with Batman? Because we would love to watch you make some sequels with JGL. Just throwing it out there.
- Anne Hathaway: Okay, so everyone was a little dubious when it was announced that Anne Hathaway was going to be playing Catwoman. We can all admit it. But fortunately SHE TOTALLY PULLED IT OFF. Our girl Anne was sexy, strong, and generally awesome, and we were always looking forward to the next time that there was a scene with her. Girlfriend was believably conflicted but still someone worth rooting for. We would totally watch Catwoman spinoffs, for what it’s worth.
- Tom Hardy: He is unrecognizable in this movie, and not just because he had a giant mask over his face for Bane and a shaved head. Physically he looked like a different person and his acting, despite the mask, was awesome. It is so challenging to act and have half of your face covered – but Hardy took on the challenge and was a terrifying, but believable villain.
- Marion Cotillard: So obviously she is a fantastic actress in absolutely everything that she’s in, so there’s not that much of a point in telling you that she’s good. Surprise: she was great! We don’t want to give anything away, but we can say that she did well with playing many different emotions/situations throughout the course of the film. One of the nicest things about The Dark Knight Rises is the total lack of a damsel in distress character: both Miranda and Selina are clearly strong women who can get through a crisis with any means necessary.
- Gary Oldman: Who doesn’t like Gary Oldman? Seriously. He was great! We maybe want to join the police now because of him! Even though he was lying down in a hospital bed for the majority of the movie we were still in awe of him. He’s just kind of the bomb.
In conclusion, this movie is really, really good. We know, you’re shocked. The action is awesome, the plot (minus some holes) is intriguing and there is a serious twist at the end that will take you by surprise! We even paid extra money to see this movie in a fancy theater (a big deal for us, we’re cheap remember) and we can say with certainty, that this film is worth every penny.