“Call Me Maybe” by Carly Rae Jepsen is undeniably nonsensical fluff. But it is the kind of fluff that only a lyrical/musical genius could write! It is like the perfect song to go viral and is the catchiest song that you have ever heard. We guarantee it will get stuck in your head. Promise.
Stages of “Call Me Maybe” Feelings:
- First listen: What is this song?? It makes no sense! But towards the end you are kind of tapping your foot..
- Fourth listen: Why am I still listening to this? Why is it stuck in my head? Why do people like this??? Call me maybe!! Wait? Did I just say/sing that in public?
- Twelfth listen: THIS SONG IS AMAZING CARLY RAE JEPSEN IS A GENIUS
Trust us. You’ll get there. This whole thing is thanks to the Biebs, as are so many (all) great things. He tweeted about how much he liked the song (Carly Rae is a fellow Canadian) and then made this video, along with some famous friends, to the song. It already has 27 million views.
- Ashley Tisdale is hilarious in this.
- Justin Bieber’s sweet dance.
- Justin Bieber says “swag” at the end, and it is simultaneously funny and a little repulsive. We do love Justin, but we cringed a little in this moment.
- Selena Gomez seems like a real winner.
- We want those little mustaches they have.
- We really wish that we were invited to this. Why weren’t we?
So that’s how most people (ourselves included) first heard “Call Me Maybe.” But the Biebs cannot hold a candle to the insanity of the official video.
Carly Rae Jepsen… sees this really hot guy, washes her car to try to get his attention, falls, hits her head, imagines them in a romance novel, sings to him, and then… there’s the twist! He’s actually interested in her (male) bassist. Interesting twist, and one that definitely makes us think we’d like this girl.
We checked out the other songs she has on YouTube, and while they’re fine and prove that Carly Rae Jepsen is definitely a good singer, we’re not sure that they have the same catchiness that makes “Call Me Maybe” so inescapable. Also, they kind of make sense, which is a distinct change. Seriously: “Before you came into my life, I missed you so bad”? What does that even mean??
While we may have no idea what Carly Rae Jepsen is talking about, that certainly doesn’t mean that we aren’t enjoying every second of “Call Me Maybe.” Trust us, you’ll get there–but sometimes it does take 12 listens. By the end of these listens you’ll be like us, ready and willing to move to Canada. Here we come Carly and Bieber!!!! CALL US MAYBE??
- Justin Bieber Introduces Carly Rae Jepsen on The Ellen Show (shoppingblog.com)
- Carly Rae Jepsen makes US debut on Ellen! (themaashup.wordpress.com)