So Nicki Minaj, instead of taking all the goodwill she had from 2011 and making an epic girl power song, chose instead to make her first big release of 2012 “Stupid Hoe.” She had just made all of these awesome strides for women in Hip Hop and Rap, and then put out that gem of a song and music video. Now don’t get us wrong, we love Nicki. We really, really just don’t like this song. And if the dislike bar on YouTube is any indicator, not very many other people like it either. Here are all the problems we have with this video:
- She opens with insulting Jennifer Aniston. NOT COOL.
- The Lyrics. Seriously? “I piss on b*tches, you can suck my disnick, if you don’t like these disses, give my ass some kisses.” That is honestly horrifying. And it is a woman singing it!
- Philosophical Question: If you are in lingerie, a blond wig, and crawling around in a cage on camera, can you call someone else a stupid hoe?
- The number of times she says, “You a stupid hoe” and “F*ck stupid hoes.” We were just so uncomfortable. Is this a thing? Is it not apparent that this is kind of unacceptable?
- The singing part where it seems like she is making fun of the Christina/Mariah/Alicia Keys/Beyonce type singers who actually put out songs that have lyrics that are not “stupid hoe”
- Unclear if she is singing this about a specific stupid hoe, are is just bent on insulting all women in general. Way to have the most misogynistic song of 2012 so far be by a woman, Nicki.
- Frankly this song is just a waste of her talents. Nicki Minaj really can rap… but she’s just saying “stupid hoe” over and over and over. This is not actually the way to get back at your haters, Nicki. The way to win is by ACTUALLY RAPPING WELL.
- Please think about those little girls from the YouTube video singing “Super Bass” that went on Ellen listening to this song. Disturbed yet?
This song in general is just not what we expect from Nicki and is a disappointing way to start off 2012. Perhaps it is a sign that 2012 really is the end of the world… Nicki, prove us wrong and get back to rapping actual songs again.